Tecnalia is an applied research centre committed to the scientific and technological development of collaborating companies, mainly SMEs but also society as a whole. Tecnalia was born from the merger of 8 internationally renowned technological centres, resulting in it becoming the largest private R&D entity in Spain and the fifth largest in Europe. It has a staff of over 1,400 employees and a turnover of nearly EUR 125 million. Key features that distinguish Tecnalia as a powerful agent in collaborative endeavours are:
- the fact that it is a private company
- their focus on applied research
- their status as an international centre of excellence
- their impact on local industry
- their willingness to interact and co-generate knowledge with other organisations and networks.
- Tecnalia has 13 Business Units organised on a sector-by-sector basis and made up of multi-disciplinary teams.